Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR-libc-dev Digest, Vol 99, Issue 13

From: Bradley Jarvis
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR-libc-dev Digest, Vol 99, Issue 13
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:42:25 +1100

> I'm still hoping we would find someone to implement a real libstdc++ :)
> so all this were not needed at all ... but that's dreaming.  (Even though
> I think it's not very much that is missing on that.)

I am happy to have a look at adding libstdc++ because I am quite
interested in using exceptions, but I won't be able to get around to it
for a few months. At least this patch allows you to dynamically create
an object and free it for the time being. The project that I use this on
uses c++ libraries on an ATmega168P and a ATmega2560. I use the dynamic
c++ object allocation only on the ATmega2560 which has an extra 64K
external ram (I was using it on the 168 but was having intermittent
resets and so I took it out, but the resets ended up being something
else, still use new and delete for basic c types and arrays though).
This would also be quite useful on the xmegas until a proper stdlibc++
solution exists.

I have noticed that stdlibc++ is located in gcc not glibc, what were
your ideas on implementing? I suppose because of the requirement to
compile for the different avr architectures it should be located in
avr-libc in a directory called libstdc++.

...Brad