[avr-libc-dev] Re: How many bits wide is __data_load_end?

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: How many bits wide is __data_load_end?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 21:48:20 +0200

On 02/10/2010 15:43, Bob Paddock wrote:
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Simone Zamboni<address@hidden>  wrote:

By the way, a note for me: Bob, how much time does the XMEGA take to
verify all the code (roughly)? Reading all the flash data seems to take
a few seconds.

I will have to measure the time.  I'd guess a little less than two
seconds with my current code, at 8 MHz.
I only run the CRC when the PORF bit (Power Applied) is set, rather
than at all resets.
I have to meet some regulations that require the system to be "fully
operational in under one second".

In the XMega you could switch to the 32 MHz Osc. to run the start up
code, I don't for power reasons.

I can't comment on this case in particular (having not used an XMega yet), but from a power-consumption viewpoint there will be little difference between running for 2 seconds at 8 MHz, or running for 0.5 seconds at 32 MHz and sleeping for 1.5 seconds - most often, running faster for shorter times and sleeping longer will give you lower total power consumption.

mvh.,

David