Re: [avr-libc-dev] atmega324 variants (P, A, PA) signature

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] atmega324 variants (P, A, PA) signature
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:32:37 +0200

As rr wrote:

> Actual datasheet is mega324a/mega324pa. Here the signature bytes are
> different: mega324a: 0x1E9515 and mega324pa:0x1e9511.

I've checked the XML files here, and there's one thing what I really
think is a bug:

    <SIGNATURE>
      <ADDR000>$1E</ADDR000>
      <ADDR001>$95</ADDR001>
      <ADDR002>$08</ADDR002>
    </SIGNATURE>
    <SIGNATURE>
      <ADDR000>$1E</ADDR000>
      <ADDR001>$95</ADDR001>
      <ADDR002>$11</ADDR002>
    </SIGNATURE>

This is from the ATmega324P.xml file.  Clearly, there's some
controversy in that. ;-)  I'm not sure whether my XML file is from the
most recent version of AVR Studio (I'm not an AVR Studio user myself),
can you please check that against your versions, and if this is still
in the files, send a bug report to <address@hidden>?

The other ATmega324* derivatives have 1E 95 08 for for the ATmega324,
and 1E 95 11 for the ATmega324PA.

> I've searched for avr-libc manual on web and on pdf, but they are from
> 2009 and of course are a little bit outdated.

Sorry, I have to update it after the recent release.  I didn't manage
it before leaving for vacation.

> So, can I assume there is no support for mega324a, since there is no
> signature compatibility?

There's no difference from a library point of view anyway.

> Where can I get a summarized information about the differences between
> mega324p and mega324pa other than looking throughout the datasheet?

I thought there's an appnote epxlaining the transition to the "A"
devices, isn't there?