RE: [avr-libc-dev] Inclusion of far pointer library (patch#6352)broke av

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Inclusion of far pointer library (patch#6352)broke avr-libc build
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:13:26 -0600

I have to emphatically agree with Joerg on all of this.

AVR Freaks is not the place to discuss new features, it is this mailing list.

In fact, I would almost suggest that the other progmem.h features, other than
the additional *_PF function that was submitted, be *removed* until we have a
chance to discuss the feature, what it requires, pros and cons, and how it fits
into future planned work.

I wouldn't suggest posting a patch to the binutils folks as they will defer it
back to us as they won't be able to properly judge whether or not an
AVR-specific patch such as these linker script additions would be a good thing
or a bad thing.

Unless there are any immediate objections, I will be preparing a patch to
remove these additional progmem.h features.

Eric Weddington