Re: [avr-libc-dev] New pgm_read_ptr() macro?

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] New pgm_read_ptr() macro?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:03:04 +0200

David,

We are not talking about macros exactly.

1. pgm_read_xxx_far() macros are contained in the "original" <avr/pgmspace.h>
2. the major "component" of Carlos' morepgmspace.h is the GET_FAR_POINTER
macro, which allows to access objects placed in far FLASH (rather than having
them placed at an absolute address)
3. Carlos also provided a couple of memxxx() and strxxx() routines with far
access (suffixed _PF), which are also prototyped in morepgmspace.h. See
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6352
4. In
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=93874&highlight=
 I described a simple change in the linker script to allow placing unessential
constants (e.g. strings) to far FLASH (Dale did essentially the same
independently, so there must be some rationale in doing that). I've added a
couple of macros to morepgmspace.h to support that; the modified morepgmspace.h
is appended to the same avrfreaks thread.
5. In http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-libc-dev/2010-06/msg00004.html I
described my attempt to merge the GET_FAR_POINTER macro with the ELPMs
themselves. in the spirit of "universal" access macro you've suggested, but as
I report there, the result is disappointing (for some entertainment, I am
appending here the final result of that attempt).

Jan

#define pgm_read_far_var(var)                               \
(__extension__ ({                                           \
  union {                                                   \
    __typeof__(var)        original;                        \
    uint8_t                placeholder;                     \
  } __result;                                               \
                                                            \
  __asm__ __volatile__(                                     \
      "ldi  r30, hlo8(%[__ADDR])                      \n\t" \
      "out  %[__RAMPZ], r30                           \n\t" \
      "ldi  r30, lo8(%[__ADDR])                       \n\t" \
      "ldi  r31, hi8(%[__ADDR])                       \n\t" \
      "elpm %A[__RESULT], Z+                          \n\t" \
      ".if (%[__SIZE] > 1)                            \n\t" \
      "elpm %B[__RESULT], Z+                          \n\t" \
      ".endif                                         \n\t" \
      ".if (%[__SIZE] > 2)                            \n\t" \
      "elpm %C[__RESULT], Z+                          \n\t" \
      "elpm %D[__RESULT], Z+                          \n\t" \
      ".endif                                         \n\t" \
    : [__RESULT]   "=r"  (__result.placeholder)             \
    : [__ADDR]     "p"  (&amp;(var))                            \
    , [__RAMPZ]    "I"  (_SFR_IO_ADDR(RAMPZ))               \
    , [__SIZE]     "X"  (sizeof(var))                       \
    : "r30", "r31"                                          \
  __result.original;                                        \
}))