[avr-libc-dev] Re: volatie with winavr2010 ?

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: volatie with winavr2010 ?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:20:52 +0200

Sorry for the extra noise in this list, since the thread is off-topic, but I never like to leave a mistake as the last word in a thread...

On 30/05/2010 20:15, Jose Torres wrote:
Leiu:
Use:  volatile *static* uint8_t first_edge = 'A';
Otherwise the compiler will allocate the variable on the call stack or
optimize it out completely.

That would be the case if the declaration of "first_edge" had been within the ISR function. But it's at file scope, and thus has a permanent lifetime.

Leiu, your ISP function itself looks okay as it stands, but there are three obvious weak points that you should look at. First is the avr2pc() function - since you've given us nothing to work on, no one can tell you if the bug lies there. Do more checking and testing on that function, and post more details if you are having problems.

Second, there may be issues with your hardware or serial port - check it properly.

Third, drop "hyperterminal". It is far and away the worst possible terminal program, and could well be the problem itself. Get a better one - there are hundreds available free. I /really/ don't want to start a discussion here about which terminal programs are the best, so I'll just give you one - "Tera Term Pro".

Other than that, as Jørg says, post in address@hidden for more help.

mvh.,

David

- Jose