Re: [avr-libc-dev] Error while running bootstrap from trunk

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Error while running bootstrap from trunk
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:46:35 +0200

As Boyapati, Anitha wrote:

> checking whether avr-gcc supports
> __builtin_avr_delay_cycles... configure: error: link tests are not
> allowed after AC_NO_EXECUTABLES

On a second thought, I realized the message is correct, and I can also
reproduce it by deinstalling any prior instance of avr-libc.

We cannot both, have our cake, and eat it.  The AC_NO_EXECUTABLES
tells that C programs on this platform are not supposed to link
successfully (as *we* are going to build the system library right now,
which is a prerequisite for successful linking), yet the check for
__delay_cycles wants to run the entire toolchain up to the linking
stage.  This was done that way as the compiler would still compile
code containing a reference to __delay_cycles, even if it is not
recognized as a builtin, only linking would fail then.

Seems I have to rewrite the check for __delay_cycles then.  Please
comment that check out by now, so you can proceed with the work you'd
like to do.