Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug #28901 - GPIO_t and CPU_t definitions

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug #28901 - GPIO_t and CPU_t definitions
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:54:06 +0100

Hi Anitha,

> 1. What purpose do GPIO and CPU definitions serve?

As far as I understand (disclaimer: I didn't do much with Xmegas so
far), they are just IO register blocks as any other IO register block
in the Xmega.  If you look into the Xmega A datasheet, chapter 3 (AVR
CPU), there is a section "Register Summary" at the end of that
chapter, describing the IO registers that belong to the CPU block
(SREG, stack pointer etc.).

Likewise, the GPIO register block is described in section 4.18.  GPIO
registers are not tied to any hardware pin, their sole purpose is that
they are available to the CPU with faster instructions (IN, OUT, CBI,
SBI) than generic memory access (LD, ST) so they could be (ab)used as
fast "bit memory".  (I'm not sure whether you could possibly include
them into the Xmega event system.)