Re: [avr-libc-dev] What about moving to SVN?

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] What about moving to SVN?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:38:53 +0100

Hi, Guys!

Am 17.03.2010 23:19, schrieb Joerg Wunsch:
As Clemens Koller wrote:

Maybe I missed some discussions but did you consider moving towards
Git as a distributed SCM tool?

Nobody ever brought that up when we discussed it previously (while
switching to SVN has been requested).  I don't see any real advantage
either, although I confess I never got the hang of git.  But where to
stop then, why Git and not Mercurial instead?

Well, regarding Mercurial that is (or was?) a matter of the licensing...

You could also list Darcs among Git and Mercurial and maybe
some more of the current tools... they are quite similar.

Well, you propably know where Git comes from... there are many
comparisons among different tools. I don't even want to start
a discussion about all this. It's a matter of necessity and taste.
I just see the thousands of repos moved over to Git now. It's
free and cross platform (msysgit).

SVN is at least a logical choice as it comes with the smallest set of
differences compared to CVS, so the amount of things to learn anew for
developers who are used to CVS is fairly small.

Yes, it's almost the same thing (from my point of view).

Before being in need for a distributed version control system, I think
the project were in need for much more active developers first.  I've
been working on a project using centralized VCSes for many years,
where there are several hundred developers with write access
distributed worldwide (FreeBSD), but the centralized repository has
never been a real bottleneck.

Sure, distributed vs. centralized is not an issue here...
(CVS was also good for avr-libc - for many years now.)

I really don't want to go for some lenghtly discussions... I was
just asking why you don't do the bigger step to Git and got a
reasonable answer already. Thanks! :-)

Regards,

Clemens