[avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-libc-commit] [2102] Drop the (pointless) svn:exe

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-libc-commit] [2102] Drop the (pointless) svn:executableattribute on those files
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:10:11 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > Drop the (pointless) svn:executable attribute on those files
> > that had been inherited from CVS.

> Oh, *thank you* for doing this. Sorry for the hassle, as most of
> those are probably my fault for committing too fast.

Well, it's simply that CVS always inherited the "x" bits from the file
as initially checked in.  Once there, those bits were "set into
stone".  As non-Posix systems don't know about those executable
attributes, whatever maps from the non-Posix into the Posix
environment appears to have a tendency to always set the "x" bits
(which is IMHO a silly default: defaulting to non-x would be much
better).  Once committed that way, they then stay in CVS.

SVN is better in that respect: it offers a separate svn:executable
attribute that can be set per file.  It's been an oversight of mine
when importing the CVS tree into SVN to not remove the pointless "x"
bits before, so the cvs2svn script created svn:executable attributes
for all those files that did have the "x" already in CVS.

Well, long story short, this commit was simply my test baloon for the
new SVN repo. ;-)