[avr-libc-dev] Avr-libc version policy

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Avr-libc version policy
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:10:46 -0700

Hi All,

Avr-libc has had a version policy in place for many years that is similar to
Linux. We release on even numbers (1.4.x, 1.6.x, future: 1.8.x). Unfortunately
we've been in a situation for years where the release branch is very
long-lived, which causes us to have to commit patches to both the current
release branch (now 1.6.x) and to HEAD.

Can we (eventually) change this to where we don't have to continually commit to
a branch and to HEAD? I would like to do most work on HEAD, and then maybe
branch only when we release. If we have to do a bug fix release off of the
branch it would then be limited to just that, a quick bug fix.

Perhaps we can implement that policy after we go to 1.8.0, whenever that is.

I just think that this would save the developers some time and hassle.

Thoughts?

Eric Weddington