Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality to avr-lib

From: Mike Perks
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality to avr-libc - C++
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:35:54 -0500

David,
There are some people who believe C++ is evil, and sneaks in all sorts of inefficiencies and code bloat behind your back. It is certainly very easy to write bloated C++ code with class hierarchies so complex they defy understanding, and each class does nothing except pass responsibility on to other classes.
It is not just that. Some C++ compilers/linkers include a large runtime for essentially doing hello world. I have never tried avr-g++ so this may not be true for this compiler. On the other hand the Arduino platform uses C++ for its library but I don't know if this translates well to smaller devices.
Obviously I would not want to see C++ modules instead of C modules - any C++ support would be in addition, and somewhat of a side project.
My view also is that we should cater the majority of users first. The C++ crowd can verify that the library works in that environment..
However, we should at least have the traditional "extern C" wrappers in header files:
Yep
And modules should compile cleanly with the -Wc++-compat flag to make mixing languages easier.
Agreed. We should at least make sure the code builds and runs with the C++ compiler.
Any thoughts or opinions? Is there anyone out there who actually uses C++ for real work and might be interested in this?
Regards,
Mike