[avr-libc-dev] Re: Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality toavr-libc

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality toavr-libc
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:21:41 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org] On Behalf Of David Brown Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 1:20 AM To: address@hidden Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding
(some) Procyon AVRlib functionality toavr-libc

Can I add a few comments here? First I'd like to applaud the volunteers here - enthusiasm is more important than experience for
a project like this, and I think it is great that you are able and
willing to spend time on this library project.  The world of
embedded development has too many people like me - lots of
experience, but little time to spread it around since we work too
much!

Hi David,

Yes, we definitely need to have some sort of way to organize code
into "well-tested" and "experimental" areas.

Yes, it would be nice if code was not delivered as object libraries,
but as source code that could be brought into a project.

A wiki is sometimes useful, but has it's own maintenance issues.

And I'm sure we'll set up a separate mailing list.

I definitely appreciate all the help you do, especially helping to
answer questions on the mailing lists. However I would suggest
strongly that you use your talents even more to help implement your
ideas above instead of just the "good idea" list from the sidelines,
otherwise it becomes overwhelming for those who are doing the work. I
understand time constraints, and it's difficult. So I suggest that
you try helping in one area as a start.

Erik, one day you'll manage to make me feel guilty enough to contribute real code! I hope that once this project gets going, I'll be able to do something useful here. I just have to persuade my wife that I'm doing it for fun and it's not yet more unpaid overtime :-)

mvh.,

David