Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlibfunctionalitytoavr-libc

From: Mike Perks
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlibfunctionalitytoavr-libc
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:41:42 -0500

All,
As for the style (camel vs. underscore), I'm not sure we really came to a
conclusion on that. I think a good way to handle it is for a few of us to
draft a set of guidelines and then submit them back to the community for
comments. I'll set that up.
I support this idea of this library and I like the name.

I think one of the areas that is going to cause a lot of work is the different definitions of I/O pins, ports and flags between different processors. I wish Atmel would make things more consistent whenever they come out with a new device. Things aren't even consistent within a particular device family with the possible exception of xmegas. For my projects I end up defining some common names and then #defining the particular device configuration to those defines. It would be great if we could do something this automagically from the XML files.

I think camel caps versus underscore becomes a religious debate with no right or wrong answer. Given that avr-libc already uses underscores, I would stick with that. Note that I personally prefer camel caps but consistency wins over personal preference in this case.

Mike Perks
Oak Micros (oakmicros.com)