Re: [avr-libc-dev] RE: [bug #26365] Better PROGMEM_FAR support

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] RE: [bug #26365] Better PROGMEM_FAR support
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:45:40 +0200

"Stu Bell" <address@hidden> wrote:
> All of the scripts were hand generated.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

> You can modify or create your own.

Of course I can and did, but that's not the point here.

I am trying to suggest to add a framework for seamless far-progmem support, as
similar as possible to the "classical" progmem. For that, I suggest to add an
additional section just after the last .fini (and before the .data
initialisers).

I can modify then the scripts *manually* ;-), and create the appropriate macros
and write a few lines of documentation; but I have no idea how to submit a
patch properly, so all I could do is to submit the modified linker scripts and
(more)pgmspace.h as a whole. But I am afraid the amount of work I (or anybody
else) would spend on it is far below "8 man hours" Joerg was talking about,
making it questionable, whether the 8 man hours couldn't be spent by the
insider on the actual changes rather than fixing changes made by somebody who's
not aware of all the whys and hows...

Jan Waclawek