[avr-libc-dev] Calls to eeprom_write_block on CAN64 increase sleep curre

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Calls to eeprom_write_block on CAN64 increase sleep current?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:25:05 -0400

I'm using a AT90SCAN64 part.

Normally my system has a nominal sleep current of 67uA.

I added some logging routines to record some data in EEPROM.
When I call eeprom_block_write() my system sleep current jumps
up to 1.1 mA.  Comment out the call to eeprom_block_write() and
the sleep current goes back down.  Whats going on here?

By 'sleep' I mean no oscillators running, and the watchdog turned off,
everything should be static.

Is the call to eeprom_block_write() leaving some internal oscillator running?

I'm using GCC 4.1.2 WinAVR-20070525RC2.  Upgrading the version is
not something I want to do right now.  That would require a
software verification cycle of a couple of weeks.

Also when looking at eeprom.h I noticed that _EEGET and _EEPUT
for IAR compatibility only have a single underscore.  In my ancient
IAR version, from ~2005, those functions had double underscores.