Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #25300] Additional i/o port names

From: Frédéric Nadeau
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #25300] Additional i/o port names
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:59:08 -0400

2009/3/31 Weddington, Eric <address@hidden>:
> Ideally, we need both: we need to fix the patch to the header files so that
> the definitions are in uppercase, but we need to generate a list of what was
> wrong with the XML files to give to Atmel.

Making the script to generate all in upper case is a piece of cake.
However having the script to report all the error is more or less
complicated. I'll see what I can do about that

> I have been updating the "avrgcc-header" script that I use to generate new
> header files. I noticed that in some of the XML files, the package
> information can list multiple package types. Some of these package types have
> different pin counts. Are you generating your data from the largest pin-count
> package that is available for a specific device? That way the most number of
> definitions / mappings are generated.
>
> Eric

I'm indeed using the package with most pin count. I'm leaving today
for a business travel so I won't be able to give you any updates on
the script and send you the modifications.

As for notifiying Atmel of errors/inconsistencies in XML files, I
already send them few errors(ticket 537046, 537367) and the send me
this as a reply:
"...
At present we don't have any input which can generalize this.
The Part description folder contains the XML files bundled in a
fashion as compatible with latest AVR Studio.
We will try to find an alternative but cannot assure of any. We will
forward this request to our back end engineers (Tools) and will update
you once we have more information on this.
..."
So I'm not even sure they care/want to do anything about it. It pain
me though to see that in AVR Studio some devices have good description
of their register when simulating/debugging wheras other device have
none or mispell one. I guess that I'm the only one that actully care
about that. anyway.

I'll send you an updated script by the end of the weekend or monday in
the worst case.

Frédéric