Re: [avr-libc-dev] newbie question - attiny88 on Ubuntu

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] newbie question - attiny88 on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:54:27 -0800

Forgot to copy list.
-dave

Dave N6NZ wrote:
Did you build from the Bingo scripts, as Eric suggested?
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=42631

In general, no Linux distro keeps the avr-gcc package as up to date as you need it. And since you won't have other dependencies in your system (except AVR code you write) you can safely blow it away and rebuild it without relying on package management. This is one case where the pre-packaged binaries actually have zero value add at the cost of considerable delays in getting bug fixes.

Once the compiler works, you might find the udev rules here useful:
http://www.hbrobotics.org/wiki/index.php5/Getting_started_with_AVR_micro_controllers.
The rest of the stuff on that page is *very* basic so you may already
know most of it -- the page is aimed at total beginners.

In general, if you follow the Bingo scripts cookbook, you should have no problem getting the compiler and all the rest to work. One of my friends here runs Ubuntu (not sure which release) with avr-gcc, and a Dragon, all nicely integrated with his favorite IDE: EMACS. (He's old school, even more gray in his beard than me :)

Good luck,
  Dave

Allan Macdonald wrote:
Hey it's me again.

I'm back at it, trying to get my avr toolchain working under Ubuntu with ATtiny88 support. If you go to this thread, you can see some of
 the frustrations I am having getting this to work for me:

If you have any suggestions, tips, help, jokes, anything, I'd be
grateful.

Cheers,

Allan