Re: [avr-libc-dev] Test results

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Test results
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:51:02 +0100

As Dmitry K. wrote:

> My desktop (Glibc) documents isinf() that return -1/0/+1
> and links to BSD 4.3 compatibility.  The date of man page
> is 1993.

OK, the FreeBSD man page says this:

HISTORY
  The fpclassify(), isfinite(), isinf(), isnan(), and isnormal()
  macros were added in FreeBSD 5.1.  3BSD introduced isinf() and
  isnan() functions, which accepted double arguments; these have
  been superseded by the macros described above.

So the major difference is that the C99 macros are supposed to take
either a float or double, but in turn, the standard only required them
to return nonzero.  The C99 rationale doesn't explain it, but I guess
this more liberal definition was used to allow an implementation that
could e.g. also return something like 0x80 in case it appears easier
to obtain that value.