Re: [avr-libc-dev] Test results

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Test results
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:27:06 +1000

On Thursday 05 March 2009 17:50, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> > 2. isinf()
> > See the GCC bug #35509.  Avr-libc's isinf() work fine.
> > Hovever, since 4.3 branch the GCC replaces it with
> > themselves inline code, which return the +1 value for
> > negative infinity.  This is mismatch to traditionaly
> > isinf() behavior.
>
> OTOH, isinf() is well defined by the C99 standard, and is only
> required to return a nonzero result for an infinite argument,
> regardless of the sign.  So IMHO this is not really a bug.

IMHO, the change of previously defined behavior without a
severe reason is a bug.  Interesting, that the compile-time
GCC isinf() evaluation returns -1 for negative infinity and
mismatch to inline substitution.  At least, a 1 year ago.

My desktop (Glibc) documents isinf() that return -1/0/+1
and links to BSD 4.3 compatibility.  The date of man page
is 1993.

[...]

Regards,
Dmitry.