Re: [avr-libc-dev] compiler support of new devices

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] compiler support of new devices
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:32:43 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > atmega128a atmega168pa atmega16a atmega324pa atmega32a atmega32u6
> > atmega64a atmega88pa atmega8a attiny13a

> Many of those devices you listed have not been formally released
> yet, so support has not been added.

The question is whether we really want to do anything for them (except
for the ATmega32U6, of course).  As far as I understand, all the "A"
parts are metal shrink devices which are not supposed to cause any
end-user visible change.  All the registers are the same, the device
signature is the same as for the corresponding non-A device.  From a
toolchain's point of view, they are completely identical to the non-A
parts, asking for separate toolchain support would be the same as
asking for separate toolchain support for e.g. an ATtiny13V, or an
ATmega128L which we never considered.

The only user-visible change is in fact that the distinction between
high-frequency (no specific suffix) and low-voltage (suffices L or V)
does no longer exist since the smaller dies are guaranteed to handle
both ends of the scale within a single part.

The only suffix letter which caused us to start separate support for
"suffix" devices was the "P", because in cases where both, the
picopower and the non-picopower part do exist, they are indeed
different parts, with different registers, and a different signature.
I always considered that a somewhat unfortunate decision but we just
had to live with it.