RE: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:29:54 -0700

Objective C (objc) can be built for the AVR (I do it regularly now). But no one
has attempted to even use it. Ada can be built for the AVR, and has a support
library and patches with the AVR-Ada project (avr-ada on SourceForge). However,
you need to have a native Ada compiler of the same version in order to build it.

For Fortran to be built, the AVR port needs to have 64-bit double support.
Currently it only supports 32-bit doubles. We (the avr-libc developers) would
like to support 64-bit doubles at some point in time.

It's been a while since I tried to build the Java front-end for the AVR. I know
that it didn't succeed at the time, but I can't remember what the failures
were. I know that none of the support libraries can be built for the AVR.
However, in theory, a Java compiler should be able to be built for the AVR
because the GCC Java compiler can also compile Java straight to native code.
This would remove the need to have a JVM built for the AVR, which would
probably be overkill.