RE: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:04:00 -0700

Do Gentoo developers not know how to read documentation?:
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html>

Information on how to build an AVR toolchain has been in the avr-libc user
manual for a long time.

If you just want to build a C and C++ toolchain for the AVR then build, in
order:
- binutils
- gcc
- avr-libc

I also happen to build the Objective C compiler for the AVR (not that anyone in
their right mind would use it), and I end up doing:
- binutils
- gcc, C compiler only (in essence just enough to build avr-libc)
- avr-libc
- gcc, full build for c, c++, objc

I do this because the objc compiler needs to have the headers built and
installed first. The C and C++ compilers don't seem to have a problem with that
(at least for the AVR).

If the avr-libc documentation is lacking then please suggest a patch so we can
fix it.

Thank you for looking into getting crossdev fixed. It has been broken for so
long, we have just been telling users to stop using it to build an AVR
toolchain.

Eric Weddington