Re: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:17:06 +0100

As Rick Altherr wrote:

> What languages are you asking avr-gcc to build?  I only build c and
> c++.  It may require the headers if you try to build java, fortran,
> etc.

I don't think any of these languages is actually supported for the AVR
at all.  The only language besides C and C++ that is at least
partially supported is Ada; I'm not sure whether building it for Ada
requires a prior installed avr-libc.

One thing to note is that libssp is not supported for the AVR target
at all; this GCC-internal library would indeed require prior installed
header files from the target system.  However, as it effectively
requires the target system to have an operating system that can offer
file IO (based on stdio), this cannot work for the OS-less AVR target
that has no notion of what a "file" might be.  Thus, configure GCC
with --disable-libssp.