Re: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain

From: Rick Altherr
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] headers only / bootstrapping an avr toolchain
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:20:47 -0800

On Nov 3, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Sven Köhler wrote:

Hi,

at the moment, i'm trying to help the Gentoo developers to find a way of bootstrapping an avr toolchain.

Normally Gentoo's tool called "crossdev" would do the following:
- install binutils-avr
- install avr-libc-headers
- install avr-gcc
- install avr-libc

But the status quo is, that the process fails because of an unresolved circular dependency:

- avr-libc needs avr-gcc
- avr-gcc needs avr-libc headers

I'd need a way, to install avr-libc's headers only. I need to bypass all checks for avr-gcc. I dream of doing something like:

- ./configure --headers-only
- make all
- make install

But avr-libc's current configure doesn't allow that to happen. It always checks for avr-gcc, but of course it doesn't find it.

Can you think of a way to enhance avr-libc with a "install headers- only" mode?

If not, how is an avr toolchain supposed to be bootstrapped?

Regards,
 Sven