RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:54:46 -0700

Hi Wouter and All,

I took your rewrite and had to fix a few things. I also added new 32-bit
integer read/write routines per Shaun's feature request (tracker on
avr-libc). Everything finally tested correctly.

I can finally say this now: Besides all of the other reasons I mentioned
for changing the EEPROM routines, one of the other reasons to change
these routines is becase of the new XMEGA chips that have been
announced. Because avr-libc does not yet have a design of library per
architecture, changing the EEPROM API implementation to be restricted to
just a header file (no compiled code in a library) allows us to modify
the implementation per device. This is necessary to fix the
implementation for a couple of other AVR devices (where they are
currently broken) and also to implement some of the new ways to access
the EEPROM in the ATxmega128A1 and ATxmega64A1.

The attached eeprom.h file is the first step in this.

Joerg, what is your opinion about adding this to the 1.6 branch? Or
would you rather it be restricted to HEAD? If it is restricted to HEAD,
then I lean towards cutting a 1.8.0 release sooner rather than later.

Any other thoughts? I would like to get this committed sometime soon.

Eric Weddington