Re: [avr-libc-dev] Plans to update scanf().

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Plans to update scanf().
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:20:35 +0100

As Dmitry K. wrote:

> In the near future I am going to update vfscanf() function
> - a core of all scanf family (first only the HEAD branch).

To me, all your changes sound very reasonable.  Bolshoye spasibo za
vashuy trudu, Dmitry!

> . The size of the minimal and standard versions has increased for
> old branches of compiler and ancient chips (without MOVW). For
> modern chips and compilers of 4.1 - 4.3 branches, it is possible to
> tell, that the size about the same. Besides now the minimal version
> covers all functions old standard.

Well, the point of the minimal version was to give a reasonable
feature set with minimal memory footprint.  However, I think that's
more important for printf() (which could e.g. be used for quick
debugging hacks) while people short of memory will very likely avoid
scanf() completely.

> . Restriction of conversion quantity has arisen because of reduction
> of the size of the counter up to one byte.

My only concern about that is whether it's still C99 compliant that
way.  Curious, did you verify whether the standard imposes an
implementation-defined minimum here, and whether the 255 would still
fit?