[avr-libc-dev] Question on IO header policy

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Question on IO header policy
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:07:18 -0700

Hi All,

The avr-libc project has had a policy where all register names and bit
names in a device IO header file are derived directly from the Atmel
device datasheet. We then updated that policy to state that those names
are derived directly from the Atmel device XML files that are shipped
with AVR Studio.

There is a WinAVR bug, #1883630, where a user is requesting the addition
of some *alias* bit names to the IO header file(s) for the
ATmega164P-324P-644P devices.
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=520074&aid=1883630&gro
up_id=68108>

In doing a search of the latest datasheet for those devices, the
requested names (UCPHA0 and UCPHA1) are *not* found on the datasheet. In
doing a search of the relevant XML files for those devices I find that
those names exist, but with an ALIAS tag, for example:
<ALIAS>UCPHA0</ALIAS>
Where this alias is after the true listed bit name.

This is the first time that I have run across this ALIAS tag in the XML
devices files.

The question is, should avr-libc provide these alias names? Or should
avr-libc only strictly provide the real bit names, that are also found
in the datasheets?

Thanks,
Eric Weddington