RE: [avr-libc-dev] Wishlist: place static bool in GPIO registers

From: Stu Bell
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Wishlist: place static bool in GPIO registers
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:24:30 -0700

Sorry, just cut&pasted my little reminder from the post to here.  I
wouldn't include it.

> It would be great if someone could volunteer to help work up a full
implementation... ;-)

The real problem with a full workup would be a macro to help define
"bit" variables.  For example it would be cool to do something like the
following:

#define DECLARE_BIT_VARIABLE(var,port,bnum) \
  #define (name)  ((volatile BitRegisterType*)_SFR_MEM_ADDR( (port )
)->bit ## bnum

The above code is completely wrong, as the preprocessor won't allow a
declare within a declare.  Does someone have a clue how to "nicely"
declare a bit variable other than putting the above into a long
explanation in the comment header/documentation (which will surely be
ignored by the noobs)?

> I know that nothing will be done with this until 1.6.0 is out and also
after the holidays.

HMMmmm... I might have some time... ;-)

Best regards,

Stu Bell