Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-libc-commit] avr-libc ChangeLoginclude/stdli

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-libc-commit] avr-libc ChangeLoginclude/stdlib.h libc/stdlib...
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:19:04 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > ...  There's no point in trying to plug libgcc's faults
> > and omissions inside avr-libc.

> Why not?

Because that bug is completely unimportant and purely cosmetical.
Real embedded applications don't exit() anyway.  Mind you, we (at
least you and me) have been shipping compiler/library combinations
where returning from main() didn't jump to or call exit() at all, and
people barely noticed it.

If you're really eager to fix it in the next WinAVR release, you could
always pick up the libgcc.S patch from the bug tracker, and apply it
to the compiler.

Also, there's no strong relationship between the compiler and library
versions, so when is the correct time to remove the hack from libc
again?  Once the major distributions picked up the libgcc patch?  Once
a full release of GCC with the patch has been released?  But then,
what about people still using older versions?