[avr-libc-dev] [bug #20778] strtod problems in ATmega2560

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #20778] strtod problems in ATmega2560
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:35:53 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #20778 (project avr-libc):

This only affects the 1.4 branch anymore, because the code in
HEAD has been rewritten completely, and is now written in C.

More analysis: it's not quite clear to me what the correct
course to take is.  The code in question pops three bytes
from the stack, and then jumps to __prologue_saves after
massaging the required arguments.  Obviously, popping three
bytes is the correct action, but then, how can it be right
to discard the third byte?

I think the best remedy would be to replace the call prologues
by standard prologues.  After all, anyone using floating point
numbers is likely to not run this on a 1 or 2 KiB device so
adding another few bytes of code wouldn't really hurt here.

As this is a 1.4 only thing, I'm deferring this by now due to
the amount of testing required to ensure nothing gets broken
by this.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20778>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/