Re: [avr-libc-dev] Problems with char */arrays

From: Taj Morton
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Problems with char */arrays
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:08:22 -0800

On Dec 10, 2007 8:08 AM, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hard to say without seeing all the commands you invoked.  My first
> guess would be that you forgot to copy over the contents of .data into
> the ROM, e.g. you used an avr-objcopy command with -j .text but forgot
> to also include -j .data.  That way, the initializer data for
> initialized variables will be missing, and all your initialized
> variables will show up with 0xff in them (as that's the pattern of the
> uninitialized ROM).
Compilation looks like this:
avr-gcc -O -D__AVR_ATmega128__ -c gyro.c
gcc -o gyro.elf gyro.o
avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex gyro.elf gyro.hex
avrdude -V -p m128 -c avrispmkII -P usb -e -U flash:w:gyro.hex

The vars aren't filled with just 0xFF...it seems more like "random" data.

- Taj

--
Taj
http://www.wildgardenseed.com/Taj/blog