RE: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #21410] Incorrect use of 16-bit eepromaddres

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #21410] Incorrect use of 16-bit eepromaddresses in devices with 8-Bit address registers
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:28:30 -0600

I think that argument is bogus. It is only the toolchain distro maintainers
and the avr-libc developers that have to eat up that time. I think that is
reasonable considering the value of the feature. Besides, we need to get you
a faster machine, Joerg. ;-)

IMHO, the biggest issue is the amount of developer time needed to make the
change, the resulting testing, and the other reason you mention below:

> If we were to change the model to a per-device library one, we'd also
> have to think of a good transition scheme, because this library model
> scheme is hand-wired into the GCC (compiler driver) code.  So it's not
> only we need a new avr-libc but also a new GCC.  One possible option
> for that is to start with avr-libc building per-device *and*
> per-architecture libraries for quite some time, and only then start
> modifying GCC.

And *that* is the biggest reason why it hasn't been done yet. Coordinating
the two projects.