[avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #21410] Incorrect use of 16-bit eeprom addresses

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [bug #21410] Incorrect use of 16-bit eeprom addresses in devices with 8-Bit address registers
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:28:11 +0200

As Wouter van Gulik wrote:

> What is the main reason not to build a per-device lib, apart from
> the time to do such a thing? I quickly scanned the mailing archives
> but I could only find the build time as a reason. Is this still
> valid?

Basically yes.  With the current number of AVRs we are supporting (and
Eric adding  another dozen or  so right now),  the build time  for the
entire  avr-libc project  could easily  reach something  like  half an
hour, which is way too long.  If someone were really about setting up
a build environment that /only/ builds those object files per device
that are really needed (like eeprom.o), this could be mitigated, but
the effort then is to be spent into the build system.

If we were to change the model to a per-device library one, we'd also
have to think of a good transition scheme, because this library model
scheme is hand-wired into the GCC (compiler driver) code.  So it's not
only we need a new avr-libc but also a new GCC.  One possible option
for that is to start with avr-libc building per-device *and*
per-architecture libraries for quite some time, and only then start
modifying GCC.