Re: [avr-libc-dev] Avrlibc and lcd.c

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Avrlibc and lcd.c
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:18:05 +0200

As edward baafi wrote:

> Ok..  The author is Joerg Wunsch and the document is here:

It's actually example code, rather than meant to be a really universal
LCD driver.  But yes, I tried to make it flexible enough so someone
else (or even myself :) could reuse it for a real-world project as
well.  Actually, it grew out of a private project of mine (that never
materialized to completeness so far).

As you cc'ed me, you already did what Eric suggested...

I'm fine if you want to do the work to divide the data and control
ports (and I don't see an immediate technical reason why this would
not be possible), as long as

. you don't break the existing setup with this, and

. you not only hack the code but also update the respective part
  of the documentation.

The second requirement is simply there since it usually costs at least
the same amount of time to properly document some piece of code as it
took to write the code itself (in particular within an example project
that is intended for others being able to follow it).  Patches that
only patch the code tend to hang around in the patch tracker virtually
forever as nobody will find the time to spend to eventually add the
missing documentation.