[avr-libc-dev] Avrlibc and lcd.c

From: edward baafi
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Avrlibc and lcd.c
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:11:22 -0400

Hi All,

I'm attempting to use the avrlibc lcd driver with a Mega88 and have run into
a problem..  The tutorial  says that "Port A has been chosen as 7 pins on a
single port are needed to connect the LCD" but in my case there are no ports
with 7 available pins (PORTB = ISP & CRYSTAL; PORTD = UART & INT0; PORTC =
RESET for ISP) ..

I've looked into lcd.c and indeed it looks for a single port..  At a quick
glance, I believe that lcd.c can be patched so that if we define (in
defines.h) something like HD44780_DATA_PORT and HD44780_CONTROL_PORT instead
of HD44780_PORT, then we know we are using one port for data and another for
the control lines..  This should be able to be backwards compatible with the
single port solution using an #ifdef..

Can anyone see any reason this wouldn't work or how I can do this currently
without patching lcd.c?

Thanks,
Ed Baafi