[avr-libc-dev] Re: simulavrxx build problems

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: simulavrxx build problems
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:11:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, William Rivet wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 16:20 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > One of the problems that I'm having is that for
> > the most part, I can't even read the make files.
> >

> What is it you are trying to do?

I have some multi-ATmega168 boards.
They are poorly connected for debugging.
Even when the problem manifests on a processor I can connect to,
timing issues usually defeat the effort.

I would like to be able to simulate interprocessor
communication and charlieplexed LEDs.

I would like to be able to set "breakpoints" based
on criteria complex enough to require code.

To do these things, I will need to edit the source.
I started to write atmega168.h and atmega168.cpp
based on atmega128.h and atmega128.cpp,
but it occured to me that even if I accomplished
that, I wouldn't know what to do with the result.

> > It would be nice to have overviews of
> > what makes what from what and what runs what.
> >
> This is true. The root directory includes the conventional INSTALL file
> that describes configuring, building and installing. I'm not saying they
> are great, but it can get things started.

I did get it built.
Bill helped me with that,
but I still had to fix things.
What I remember offhand:
Flags for position-independent code.
The directory for python.h
The hexadecimal version number for python.

> In the examples directory there is a readme about the example targets.
> It's not much, but that's what exists ATM.

I've run dogdb and do_python.
I'm not clear on what to do to run my own avr code.

> > I'm reading up on swig,
> > but I've never used it before.
> > Does swig make simulavr.py and simulavr_wrap.cpp?
> > If so, I've been unable to find the Makefile command that does it.
> > Is _simulavr.so made from simulavr_wrap.cpp?
> >
> Yes. Swig makes interfaces between high level languages and C/C++ code.

What is the input to swig?
I've not been able to find the swig command in the make files.

> > What is the startup sequence?
> > That is, who invokes whom on the way to the main loop?
> > During the  main loop,
> > who sends what information to the outside world? How?
> > Who gets information from the outside world? How?
>
> I'm just guessing here though, I'm sorry if I'm off target.

As noted above, I'm going to need to add code to the simulator.

--
Mike   address@hidden
"Horse guts never lie."  -- Cherek Bear-Shoulders