Re: [avr-libc-dev] functions to write data into application flash sectio

From: Thomas Richter
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] functions to write data into application flash section
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:46:39 +0100

Hi Joerg,

the problem is following:
In my working application I get data from an interface (e.g. UART) and I will write it into the Flash. This is necessary for changing the application during a software update.

I will divide the application flash section into 3 parts where I have 3 different applications. The boot loading process shall decide which part shall be used.

I use the ATmega128.

Regards,
Thomas

Joerg Wunsch schrieb:
As Thomas Richter wrote:

In the question there was an error but you understand it
correctly. I would ask for the functions in <avr/boot.h>. I am not
sure that these functions also useable for application flash
section.

Depends on what you actually mean by this.  If you're asking for
something that could be run from *within* the application section,
this is impossible with the AVR (except for a few ATtinys): *only* the
bootloader area (as designated by the respective fuse bits) is allowed
to write to flash.

If you're asking for something that can *update* the application flash
section: that's it.