Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #19050] gcrt1.S should call main ratherthanjumpi

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #19050] gcrt1.S should call main ratherthanjumping to it
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:22:56 +0100

Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 02:36:54PM -0700, Eric Weddington wrote:

I agree completely: -mcall-prologues is still desired if it produces smaller
code.

OK, you may be right it still makes sense on the very small devices
(I don't have a strong opinion, just a suggestion), though it's still
possible to use the old toolchain with the old devices.  I certainly
don't see much point in supporting it on the large (3-byte PC) devices.

In fact, this brings up the question as to why it is not the default?

It's a tradeoff: smaller, but slower.

Marek

Can the default be made dependant on the core? Certainly 3-byte PC cores will have enough program space, but the for the smaller cores, you normally want to save space.

Alternatively, can the setting follow the optimisation flags? -Os gives call prologues, -O2 gives inline prologues?

mvh.,

David