RE: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #19050] gcrt1.S should call main ratherthanjumpi

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #19050] gcrt1.S should call main ratherthanjumping to it
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:35:21 -0700

I'm sorry, could you clarify this? Are you suggesting that we will have to
*add* a command-line option to get the smaller code? If so, this certainly
doesn't help backwards-compatibility.

> So far, I've seen a couple of users (maybe) complaining on
> avrfreaks.net, not more, and in that case, it's already been the
> pathological case you've been quoting.
>
> Of course, if the command-line option is impossible for some reason
> (e.g. since it would make the RTL too complicated or whatever), we
> really have to see whether standards conformance or code bloat is more
> important for us.

I like the ideal of standards conformance, but the bottom line is that I
lean towards practicality and no code bloat.

I would also prefer NOT adding a new command-line option to get the older
smaller code. This induces versioning issues to achieve the same
functionality.