Re: [avr-libc-dev] atmega324/atmega324p issue

From: Raymond Moore
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] atmega324/atmega324p issue
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:58:04 -0500

I am using avr-gcc 2.4.0 20061007
When I compile for the atmega324 I get

avr-gcc -g -Wall -O2 -mmcu=atmega324 -I /usr/include -I/opt/avr/avr/include
-W1,-Map,main.map -o main.elf main.c -lm

unknown MCU 'atmega324' specified

*then a list of all the known MCU names with one name per line including
atmega324p(not atmega324)*

main.c:1: error: MCU 'atmega324' supported for assembler only

When I comple for the atmega324p gcc just coughs up that it doesnt recognize
the 324p at all.

avr-gcc -g -Wall -O2 -mmcu=atmega324 -I /usr/include -I/opt/avr/avr/include
-W1,-Map,main.map -o main.elf main.c -lm

Known MCU names:
*here a bunch of names with 7 to 10 names on a line(including the
atmega324(not 324p)*

Assembler messages:
Fatal error: unknown MCU: atmega324p

It looks like binutils was updated to have just the 324 where gcc is still
looking for the 324p
I just checked and I have regular 324 here.  Free samples are a wonderful
thing.

Thanks,
Ray Moore

On 1/25/07, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

As Raymond Moore wrote:

> Probably related to this P/nonP thing.  I have recently acquired
> some atmega324 chips and when attempting to compile for them, GCC
> and binutils differ as to whether it is atmega324 or atmega324p...

You are not supposed to be able to get your hands on non-P ATmega324
silicon, so always pick -mmcu=atmega324p for them.  In fact, avr-libc
cannot handle anything but the `P' version anyway, as the non-P
version has been discontinued by Atmel in its infant days.