[avr-libc-dev] ATMega2561 testing

From: Todd Elliott
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] ATMega2561 testing
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:59:44 -0800

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me posting to this list.    If another list is more
appropriate, please feel free to send me there...

I spent the last couple of days getting the latest sources and patches all
configured for
GCC 4.1.1, avrlibc 1.4.5, etc..

I am desperately trying to figure out a way to upgrade a large data-logging
project that is already deployed using the ATMega128.    I need more
ram....    I'm hoping to do a drop-in replacement with the 2561 for the
extra 4k of ram.

I was able to get my SD Flash /FAT32 bootloader up and working on the
ATMega2561 today.   The code starts at 0x3e000 and is about 4k right now.
I have verified that it correctly loads code from the flash card to the avr
flash memory using avrdude to read the flash back after booting and doing a
diff.

The problem is when I try to get the main code working.    I have tried
various optimization levels and commenting out sections and everything I can
think of.    I haven't been able to isolate exactly what the problem is, but
it seems like things break the first time  the code crosses 32k (0x8000)
boundary??  The total code is a little more than 64k and it works fine on an
ATMega128 with the 1.2.x avrlibc.

Sorry for the vague post,   I will try to post more if I can figure anything
out.      Let me know if I can help by trying some options   Is anyone
having any success with the 2561?

I would also like to thank you guys for doing such a great job on the avr
development tools!!