[avr-libc-dev] Re: bootloader for AVR USB DFU

From: Andrew Straw
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: bootloader for AVR USB DFU
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:12:40 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As *Javier* *Almansa* *Sobrino* wrote:
>
>> Hello. I've written a client side bootloader for the USB bootloader
>> included in the AT90USB1287 for GNU/Linux. I'd like to send the
>> source to someone who can make a debian package and include it in
>> the debian package list and distros

I think the best thing to do is post it on a website somewhere as an
open source software project and hopefully a Debian developer will
package it for distribution.

Alternatively, get it included in a pre-existing package already in the
Debian archive, a la AVRDUDE:

> You mean, you wrote a program on the Unix host to talk to the
> bootloader in the AT90USBKEY?
>
> As far as I know, there is already one, and I'd personally found it
> most logical to integrate support for it into AVRDUDE rather than
> inventing yet another tool.

I agree that sounds like a good idea to include in AVRDUDE. What is the
bootloader you mention with the "there is already one"?

With the ability to load firmware without unplugging a USB device,
however, it would be nice to have a library that could do this from
within an application without needing to install/run AVRDUDE.

Cheers!
Andrew