[avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR-libc-dev Digest, Vol 40, Issue 3

From: David Breeze
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR-libc-dev Digest, Vol 40, Issue 3
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:43:47 +0100

>Btw., does anyone know why there are five linker scripts per
>device/architecture?  (.x, .xbn, .xn, .xr, .xu)

I asked the same question about 4 years ago.  The answer I got then, from Peter
Jansen, was

"from the binutils/ld/genscripts.sh source,

#Generate 5 or 6 script files from a master script template in
#$(srcdir)/scripttempl/${SCRIPT_NAME}.sh.  Which one of the 5 or 6
#script files is actually used depends on command line options given
#to ld.  (SCRIPT_NAMES was set in the emulparams_file)
#
#A .x script file is the default script
#A .xr script is for linking without relocation (-r flag)
#A .xu script is like .xr but *do* create constructors (-Ur flag)
#A .xn script is for linking with -n flag (mix text and data on same page).
#A .xbn script is for linking with -N flag (mix text and data on same page).
#A .xs script is for generating a shared library with the --shared flag;
#it is only generated if $GENERATE_SHLIB_SCRIPT is set by the emulation
parameters"

HTH

David

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
an addressing or transmission error has misdirected
this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.  If you are
not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on
this e-mail.

Joy Mining Machinery Limited/P&H Minepro Services aims to prevent the
propagation of viruses, but cannot guarantee that this email is virus free.
You are advised to scan all attachments and open them at your own risk.

Joy Mining Machinery Limited/P&H Minepro Services may monitor outgoing and
incoming e-mails and other telecommunications on its e-mail and
telecommunication systems.
-Privacy - UK-