Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Compiling avr-libc on Mac OS X fails...

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Compiling avr-libc on Mac OS X fails...
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 23:55:10 +0200

As Frank Goenninger wrote:

> >Your compiler uses the native system's assembler it seems.

> Yeah, I figured. Why? I have the avr binutils in my path...

The compiler looks it up into its recorded prefix, not in $PATH.

> If only I knew where to look ... Seems as if I have to manipulate
> the configure script for gcc...

Normally not, but maybe you should give both (binutils and GCC) a
--prefix.

To find out where it looks for it, perhaps you've got some syscall
tracer.  Under FreeBSD, I've got ktrace for that, no idea whether
MacOS X has kept that name.

> >Note that avr-gcc doesn't want to call avr-as by that name but
> >rather by its native name "as" only.

> Why? This would mean to conflict with the as I need for the gcc for
> OS X ?!?

Not really.  avr-as is the frontend name for users to call, it's
supposed to be in $PATH.  as is the backend name, as the compiler
calls it.  On my FreeBSD, the frontend is /usr/local/bin/avr-as, but
the backend in /usr/local/avr/bin/as.  avr-gcc calls the latter one.

> Vy 73 de Frank DG1SBG  ;-)

tnx.  Hope to be QRV next week as OZ/DL8DTL, but only on
frequencies < 30 MHz.