Re: [avr-libc-dev] build fails on x86_64 GNU/Linux, missing stddef.h

From: Galen Seitz
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] build fails on x86_64 GNU/Linux, missing stddef.h
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:35:56 -0700

Henrik Brix Andersen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 03:51:37PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> > So the trick would probably to explain to Galen what is needed for
> > this to happen.  I can't contribute much here, as this entire lib64
> > thing appears to be a Linux-specific one to me.  FreeBSD, even on
> > 64-bit archs, always uses .../lib, but has a specific .../lib32 for
> > the i386 emulation libraries on the amd64 arch.  Other 64-bit archs
> > (sparc64, alpha) don't offer 32-bit emulation anyway.
>
> We don't do anything special.
>
> Galen, do you pass anything special to the configure script?

My problem was due to my lack of understanding of the rpm
build system.  I was using the rpmmacro %makeinstall.  This was
overriding the configured libdir with the system default for libdir.
I've changed the install step to do the following, though I'm not
certain if this is the correct solution.

make DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT install

Both FreeBSD and Gentoo use portage, correct?  Where do I look to see
how these steps are performed on those systems?

thanks,
galen