Re: [avr-libc-dev] EEPROM.h Suggestion

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] EEPROM.h Suggestion
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:51:24 +0200

> Is it possible to add to the library a #ifdef so that the current EEPROM
> value is checked inside the write routine so that the value is only written
> if it differs? This would impose a speed penalty but it would preserve
> EEPROM life. I picture it as using a define (such as #define
> __EEPROM_CHECKPREV) before the inclusion of the EEPROM header to turn on
> the checking functionalty.
Have a look at the discussion at the thread

Re: [avr-libc-dev] Is eeprom_write_byte supporting the new bitwise eeprom
write feature of new devices?

I'd like to suggest to leave the avr-libc code as it is in order to have a
small memory footprint. However, we could consider to supply an additional
"eeprom_optimized_write_byte.S" assembly file that an interrested user could
add to his own project in order to prevent unnecessary clear operations and
unnecessary writes.

Yours,

Bjoern