Re: [avr-libc-dev] thins that need to be done?

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] thins that need to be done?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:48:03 -0600

Mark v/d W. wrote:
Hi Everyone
I've been wondering for some time now, how can I contribute to avr-gcc (and everything used with it), and what skills I need to be useful. Are there any jobs that need to be done? I hear a lot about floating point routines that need to be rewritten. Is there any way I could help out there?

Mark v/d W.
(microchip)

First off, subscribe to the avr-libc-dev mailing list; that way your emails don't have to be approved to be posted to the list. ;-)

You should familiarize yourself with CVS. Also, with the "diff" and "patch" tools.

There are plenty of jobs that need to be done in avr-libc. Yes, we can always use a floating point maintainer. I'm not sure if the routines need to be rewritten (others can address that point). But I would certainly like to see 64-bit floating point (double) routines added to the library. We have an open position for a C++ maintainer; someone who is familiar with what is required for a C++ toolchain and can possibly get libsup++ built for the AVR. We also have a todo list, though it might be a bit out of date. And then there are always bugs to be fixed and new devices seem to come out every other month.

Usually, new developers contribute patches to the avr-libc project (usually through the Patch Manager on the Savannah project). After a few patches, everything looks good, we can certainly give you write access to CVS. We're certainly not elitest, but you have to know the basics of the tools (CVS, diff, patch) and willing to work together on a cross-platform project. Note that the AVR toolchain can now be built for Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, and Solaris (and I can't remember if someone has tried building on NetBSD).

HTH
--
Eric Weddington