Re: [avr-libc-dev] gcc 4.0.2 v. 3.4.5

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] gcc 4.0.2 v. 3.4.5
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:33:09 +0100

Joerg Wunsch wrote on Sonntag, 22. Januar 2006 15:22 :
> As David Carr wrote:
> > I just rebuilt my toolchain with gcc 3.4.5 (and Jorg's FreeBSD
> > patches).  How does the performance of 4.0.2 compare?  I see that
> > the 3.4.x series is still reccommended in the avr-libc
> > documentation.
>
> Well, the avr-libc's idea should not count as `recommendation' here,
> at least not against trying a more recent version if available.  Take
> this rather as a minimal version to use.
Hi,

I now have been working with 4.0.x for quite a while with real production
projects. It is my impression that it performs considerably better than
3.4.x. Maybe this is because we are frequently using 32 bit variables.

In the beginning I had some serious objections because I had observed
clobbered frame pointers in earlier versions of 4.0.x. Since quite a while
this problem has been solved.

For our production code, I interestingly observed that 4.1.x yields slightly
worse results than did 4.0.x (concerning code size). The relative performance
of the different versions probably obviously depends on your code.

Yours,

Bjoern.