Re: [avr-libc-dev] Newbie: Help walking through the demos

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Newbie: Help walking through the demos
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:27:28 +0100

As Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> The avr-libc-1.4.1/doc/examples/ directory is not included in
> avr-libc-user-manual-1.4.1.tar.bz2, it seems - this is why those
> files are not installed under Gentoo Linux.

> Is this intended from upstream - or is it a mistake?

Sorry for not sending out a warning about the new layout yesterday.
However, I don't feel very well, and we also were about to leave for a
quick visit to a nearby restaurant, so my "announcement" here was a
bit terse.  I also forgot to prepare and upload a binary release,
doing it right now.

The demos are now installed for the first time as part of the normal
"make install" process, regardless of whether you are building docs or
not.  As it bothered me the docs got more and more bloated by demo
source code included verbatim there (with no easy way for the users to
get it onto their disks), I decided to no longer use \include
statements in doxygen but rather leave pointers to the demo source.
For the HTML version, these pointers are back references into the
tree, so the idea is that you eventually install the docs at the same
level the "examples" directory has been installed.  In the default
layout (i.e. if you run a ./configure ... --enable-doc and install
everything), that looks like:

${prefix} -- share -- doc -- avr-libc -+- avr-libc-user-manual

                                       +- examples -+- demo

                                                    +- largedemo

                                                    +- stdiodemo

                                                    +- twitest

(The manual directory might have the version number appended, but that
doesn't matter for the back references.)

If you don't build the manual yourself (--disable-doc, the default),
the "avr-libc-user-manual" directory top right in the diagram will be
missing.  You can simply fetch the offical manual then, and are
somewhat expected to install it into the same location.  If you can't
do that for some reason (e.g. since your package system would be upset
about mixing different packages), on Unix systems, it should be easy
to work around that by symlinking the "examples" directory
appropriately.

For the printed (i.e. LaTeX) version, the reference only consists of a
description where the demo sources can be found on disk.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.